Watercolors of landscapes and architectural subjects make up the majority of Terri Gay’s work. Her sketchbooks are full of drawings of outdoor adventures and travels. Plein air watercolor was a natural choice for elaborating on her drawing skills and entering the challenge of a new medium.
Terri has traveled in four continents, all the while sketching her travels. She hiked the Arizona Trail, connecting footsteps from Mexico to Utah, over a span of six years. She’s creating a collection of paintings of sites along the trail.
Her experience includes teaching classes in drawing fundamentals and perspective for artists, freehand drawing and visualization for drawing. She has worked as an illustrator and designer.
Most recently, Terri has taught plein air painting for watercolor in a video for the Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild as well as conducting an on-site demonstration for the Sonoran Plein Air Painters.
Exhibits & Recognition
- Awarded third place in “A Brush with the Desert” at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum/Sonoran Plein Air Painters show, 2021
- Received Signature Artist standing in Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild
- Earned Signature Artist standing in Sonoran Plein Air Painters, 2021
- Recipient of 2020 Janet Tifft Grant from the Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild
- Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild, “Annual Show,” juried, 2020
- Sonoran Plein Air Painters “At the Races” show, Rillito Race Track, juried 2019
- Arizona Plein Air Painters “Annual Show,” juried, 2019
- Tucson Mayor’s show, Tucson City Hall, 2018
- Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild, “Fiesta Sonora,” juried, 2018
- “Barrio Five” Show, Tucson Temple of Music and Art gallery, 2017
- Tucson Plein Air Painters Society 2015 “Art Notes” show, second place award
- Bisbee, Arizona, Plein Air Festival, second place award, 2015
- American Women Artists scholarship recipient, 2012 Master Class and Desert Museum Paint Out, Tucson, Arizona
Memberships & Affiliations
- Signature Member, Sonoran Plein Air Painters; Board member, paint out chair
- Signature Member, Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild
- Member, Tucson Barrio Painters