Plein air watercolors of landscapes and architectural subjects make up the majority of Terri Gay’s work. For many years, her sketchbooks filled up with pen and pencil drawings of outdoor adventures and travels. Plein air watercolor was a natural choice for elaborating on her drawing skills and entering the challenge of a new medium.
Terri has traveled to Australia, Southeast Asia, Canada and Europe, all the while sketching scenes of her travels. She has hiked the Arizona Trail, connecting footsteps from Mexico to Utah over a span of six years. She’s creating a collection of plein air paintings of sites along the trail. You can see some in the galleries on this website.
Her art experience includes teaching classes in drawing fundamentals and perspective for artists, freehand drawing and visualization for drawing. She has worked as an illustrator and designer.
A Tucson “almost-native,” Terri graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in studio art and graphic design from the University of Arizona.
- Primary interest in plein air watercolors and graphic media (pen, pencil)
- Focus on representational landscape and architectural subjects
- Professional illustrator in digital and traditional media
- Instructor, Drawing Fundamentals and Perspective for Artists
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Arizona, Tucson
Exhibits & Recognition
- Recipient of 2020 Janet Tifft Grant
- Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild, “Annual Show,” 2020
- Sonoran Plein Air Painters “At the Races” show, Rillito Race Track, 2019
- Arizona Plein Air Painters “Annual Show,” 2019
- Sonoran Plein Air Painters Mini-Max Show” Winter 2018
- Tucson Mayor’s show, Tucson City Hall, 2018
- Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild, “Fiesta Sonora,” 2018
- “Barrio Five” Show, Tucson Temple of Music and Art gallery, 2017
- Tucson Plein Air Painters Society 2015 “Art Notes” show, second place award
- Bisbee, Arizona, Plein Air Festival, second place award, 2015
- Agua Caliente Pima County Parks Paint Out Show, 2012, 2013
- Bisbee, Arizona, Garden Tour/Plein Air Paint Out & Exhibit, 2012
- American Women Artists scholarship recipient, 2012 Master Class and Desert Museum Paint Out, Tucson, Arizona
- Artist Member, Sonoran Plein Air Painters; Board member, secretary
- Juried Member, Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild