Plein air watercolors of landscapes and architectural subjects make up the majority of Terri Gay’s work. For many years, her sketchbooks filled up with pen and pencil drawings of outdoor adventures and travels. Plein air watercolor was a natural choice for elaborating on her drawing skills and entering the challenge of a new medium.
Terri has traveled to Australia, Southeast Asia, Canada and Europe, all the while sketching scenes of her travels. She has hiked the Arizona Trail, connecting footsteps from Mexico to Utah over a span of six years. She’s creating a collection of plein air paintings of sites along the trail.
Her art experience includes teaching classes in drawing fundamentals and perspective for artists, freehand drawing and visualization for drawing. She has worked as an illustrator and designer.
A Tucson “almost-native,” Terri graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in studio art and graphic design from the University of Arizona. To see more of her work, visit http://www.terrigay.com.
Survived art , University of Arizona. Worked as paste-up artist. Working nights tough to do. Back to school, University of Arizona, got a degree in marketing. Freelance graphics and illustration by night, marketing and advertising magic for retail by day. Added teaching into the mix. Added plein air painting to the mix. Adventures continue. More to come.
- Primary interest in plein air watercolors and graphic media (pen, pencil)
- Focus on representational landscape and architectural subjects
- Professional illustrator in digital and traditional media
- Instructor, Drawing Fundamentals and Perspective for Artists
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, University of Arizona, Tucson
Exhibits & Recognition
- “Barrio Five” Show, Tucson Temple of Music and Art gallery, 2017
- Tucson Plein Air Painters Society 2015 “Art Notes” Show, second place award
- Bisbee, Arizona, Plein Air Festival, second place award, 2015
- Agua Caliente Pima County Parks Paint Out Show, 2012, 2013
- Bisbee, Arizona, Garden Tour/Plein Air Paint Out & Exhibit, 2012
- American Women Artists scholarship recipient, 2012 Master Class and Desert Museum Paint Out, Tucson, Arizona
- Artist Member, Sonoran Plein Air Painters; Board member, secretary
- Member, Southern Arizona Watercolor Guild